Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Retro Chic Value

  1. #1
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What I find interesting about the cameras and equipment I see on Ebay is how the same camera can fluctuate in value.Now a really good camera like a Beaulieu,Canon 1014 or Nizo,you're gonna still pay a pretty good price for,but I've seen,say a Bolex 160 Macrozoom sell for as little as 30 bucks and then a month later the same camera will go for over 200.It seems there are some models that hold what I call a "retro chic value".They're odd or they seem to come in seasonally and you see people buy low and sell high.What I want to know is who is paying 200 dollars for camera that can sell for under 50?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One of the problems with so many of us frugal buyers of Super-8mm equipment is that when someone comes along and pays a higher price for a camera they generally don't recieve congratulations from their super-8 peers.

    I say, viva la difference, give that Super-8 buyer a candy cigar!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My point is that there are certain cameras that seem to have value to people other than super 8 film makers.The Bolex Macrozoom is one camera that seems to sell rather quickly and vary the most on ebay.The same goes for certain standard 8 cameras like the Beaulieu std 8 and Bolex P-3.I bet some folks have an impressive looking glass case display with some cameras we would all love to have.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My point is that there are certain cameras that seem to have value to people other than super 8 film makers.The Bolex Macrozoom is one camera that seems to sell rather quickly and vary the most on ebay.The same goes for certain standard 8 cameras like the Beaulieu std 8 and Bolex P-3.I bet some folks have an impressive looking glass case display with some cameras we would all love to have.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've sold quite a bit on ebay and one "big" reason for varying prices is due to newcomers. They come to ebay uneducated and will lock into a camera then fight to the death for it. I've seen it many many times. They want the camera NOW.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •